Saturday, September 16, 2006

Local summer meal--the last one :-(

Well, my meal this week looks oddly like the meal last week.

We had mashed potatoes, carrots, broccoli and round steak.

Round steak isn't something that I ever really cooked before we purchased this quarter of a cow and I'm having a hard time learning how to cook with it. It's a tough cut so it likes to be cooked slow. The crock pot is all that I've found so far that makes it turn out good. I'm open to ideas if you want to submit them.

I made homemade biscuits to go with our meal. I have never made them from scratch before. The closest I've come is a Bisquick box. But I used whole grain organic flour and kneading the dough and everything. I think I kneading it too much as they turned out like hockey pucks, but you could slather a real hockey puck with rhubarb/strawberry preserves and I would wolf it down. As a biscuit they were edible. As a preserve delivery device they worked great. And the leftovers will be great tomorrow as biscuits and gravy after the gravy soaks into them and softens them up. MMMMM

This is the last local meal of the contest so you won't see pics of the meals up anymore. Well, maybe you will once in a while, but not every week. Thanks for putting this together Liz. It was fun and I am definately not going back to the way things were.

FGLB

5 Comments:

At 5:08 AM, Blogger The Donut Guy said...

The less you mix your biscuit dough, the better.

Use a fork to mix the ingredients together instead of a mixer.

Mix your dough for maybe a minute after the ingredients are incorporated.

Perfect every time :-)

 
At 6:43 PM, Blogger Matt said...

I used a whisk at first which was just crap. I'll fork it next time.

Thanks George!

 
At 7:35 AM, Blogger sugarcreekfarm said...

The key to tender round steak is to marinate it a good long time. I like to lay one in a glass baking dish and pour a can of beer over it. Cover and let sit in the refrigerator at least 4 hours, and up to 24 hours. Drain the beer off. (I would think you could use ginger ale or V8 juice or something if you don't want to use beer.)

Combine 4 T. brown sugar, 1 t. seasoned salt, and 1/2 t. pepper. Rub this on both sides of the steak, and stick it back in the refrigerator for a couple of hours.

Then just grill it up.

(And of course be sure and have your butcher tenderize your round steak when you order it.)

 
At 10:28 AM, Blogger Liz said...

I know nothin' 'bout making biscuits (James makes those), but George's advice sounds good. :)

Matt, thanks so much for being such a loyal participant in my challenge. I'm glad you had fun with it and it's made a positive change in your life.

And congrats on the Groovy Green gig... that's a great group blogging over there.

 
At 1:15 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I will miss the updates on the meals and the trials and tribulations that went with them. No other input on the biscuits here since I now resort to tube most of the time but George is correct on the less you work them the better they are and sorry to say using a good shortening also helps.
If your round steak is not tenderized then pound it yourself with a mallet or the rim of a glass till perforated, then grill or simmer in cream of mushroom soup which is what I always used. Of course you could make your own sauce but slow cooking is also the key.

Maybe Santa needs to put a pastry blender in your stocking this year. Great for extra thick doughs.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home