Saturday, August 19, 2006

Local meal--week 8 (I think)

My picture didn't turn out very well, but here is a pic of this week's meal. I had some 8-ball squash (or buttercup depending on who is telling you what they are) that my friend gave me that her father grew. And I knew of a recipe that stuffed a squash. So there it is.

The quick run down if you want to see the ingrediants:

1 pound local pork sausage
1/4 cup finely chopped celery (market)
1/4 cup chopped red onion (market)
2 eggs (market)
2 cups coarsely chopped cauliflower (market)
1/2 cup diced yellow squash (market)
1/2 cup grated Parmesan (not local)
1 tablespoon chopped parsley leaves (store, farm in Grinnel, IA)
3 tablespoons chopped fresh sage leaves
(store, farm in Grinnel, IA)
3 tablespoons chopped fresh thyme leaves (store, farm in Grinnel, IA)
1 tablespoon minced garlic (market)
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
After this was all mixed together I put it in the squash bowls and put it in the oven at 300 degrees for about 30 more minutes just to heat up and solidify the stuffing. (You cook the squash first) And it was done.

We also had some muskmelon.

Every ingrediant was local except the Parmesan Cheese, salt and pepper.

For future reference, the cauliflower wasn't cook and I wasn't sure I really liked it in there anyway. I think perhaps a little actual stuffing would make this go a long, long way. We also thought broccoli, carrots and zucchinni would be a good addition. You can tell the recipe was developed with ground turkey in mind because all those spices and the sausage were almost too much flavor. But it was darn tasty.

Enjoy!

FGLB

1 Comments:

At 2:04 AM, Blogger The Donut Guy said...

That beats the bolgna sandwich I just ate.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home