Wednesday, August 23, 2006

Consciousness of thoughts

As I've gotten more and more into Peak Oil, living sustainably, cycling, eating local and other types of associated activities I've gotten more and more contemptful (is that a word??) of how other people around me are living.

When I see people buying all their produce at the Mega-Mart when the farmer's markets here are loaded with goodies it makes me sick. Not only veggies and fruit, but eggs, pork, chicken and beef are all available there too.

When I walk down the parking lot at work and can count the economical cars being driven (let's just say over 30MPG, hwy) on one hand I feel even more sick.

When people tell me that they don't have time to go to farmer's markets or it's just too hard to go there and shop, it makes me sick. Even worse when they tell me they don't want to buy from the market because they don't know where the stuff comes from. Huh? Do they actually think the store owns the farms that it gets it's produce from?

When I see people driving their cars to work when they live less than a mile away I almost throw up on their shoes.

When I hear people raving about the good deal they got when they bought a plasma TV on sale for $3500 I want to shake them from their stupor and ask them what they are doing with their life. (It was no payments no interest for a whole year!!) Why are they not out living it? Why would would they rather be spoon-fed these fake dreams over the cable lines? You only get one life folks. What you do now matters because you don't get a second chance.

When I talk to people in other towns and they tell me that their farmer's markets don't restrict what is sold there so anyone who buys a box of produce from anywhere can pawn off their produce as local just by answering the questions a certain way, I feel even more sick.

I've got to figure out how to get a handle on my contemptfulness. It hasn't impacted my everyday life yet, but I wonder when or if it will. How long before I snap and just fly off the handle when someone says one of these asinine things?

All my readings lately seem to show that more and more is being made in the mainstream media about eating locally and sustainably (and also Peak Oil), but I can't be certain if the information is going mainstream or if I'm just hearing more about it because I'm immersing myself in it more. You know how it is. You aren't looking for something and you don't notice it, but as soon as you need it you start seeing relevant things all the time. I didn't notice how many bikes were sale at yard sales or just in front yards until I bought one that way and then I'm like "Wow, bikes are being sold all over the place!"

Gotta figure out how to handle it.

FGLB

1 Comments:

At 7:10 AM, Blogger nulinegvgv said...

i might have an idea. drop me a line when you get a chance.

aaron "at" groovygreen "dot" com

 

Post a Comment

<< Home