Tuesday, July 25, 2006

New ride

I got a new ride folks. It's nothing special really, but should lead to some fun adventures.

I picked this up out of a gentlemen's front yard for $50. It works pretty well, although the shifting is a little clunky and the seat is not the best. It's been about 15 years since I rode a road bike so just getting use to the way it behaves compared to a mountain bike will take some work.

It appears to be a Schwinn World Traveler but I wouldn't mind having some second opinions. The frame fits well and most importantly, it's steel with some nice looking lugs. STEAL IS REAL!! It appears to be from the mid 80s, possibly 85-86. 10 speeds, 27 inch wheels, rides nice and cold air...oh wait...that's a used car...

Side note:
I am aware that this is most likely a women's bike, but I don't really care. I like having the low step through for when I'm loaded down for the commute to work and all bulked up with winter gear for winter commuting. I'm tired of hefting my meaty tree trunk legs over the top tube. Why should I be stuck with society's expectation of what kind of bike to ride? I say not me! I'll ride what's comfortable and what works for me. Besides, I'd just like to see one of those leg shaving carbon fiber punks make a comment to me. I weigh twice as much as they do!!

Anyway, it's a project bike. The plan is to make it a fixed gear bike (won't have to worry about shifting then!!!) and swap out the drops for some bullhorns. I'm starting slow and just getting it running as a fixie for now. Then I'll swap out the pedals and handlebars. Then it should be all set. I like the idea of taking something that was old and basically forgotten and making it useful again.

It doesn't have any braze-ons for water bottles (didn't people drink water while on the bike back then???). I dropped it at the bike shop and they are going to redish the back wheel, put in a 16T cog (start low, I'm using the existing front crank, it's a 40), remove the deraillers and extra cogs on the back, replace the chain and remove the shifting cables. Oh, and also true up the wheels. Even though a lot of true fixies think you can go without brakes because you can push back on the pedals to stop you (remember the skid marks you use to leave as a kid?? Oh yeah) I'm not that brave and we're leaving both brakes on for now. After I can ride pretty well I'll remove the back brake but I would never go totally without a brake. No way. I have too much to live for.

I'll let you know how it turns out. I can't wait to get it back. It's going to take forever to get it back and I am itching to get on it and give it a try.

FGLB

4 Comments:

At 6:06 AM, Blogger viperinkorea said...

Do you take it off any sweet jumps?

 
At 6:33 AM, Blogger Liz said...

I can't understand that whole men's bike has a high bar thing. I have a men's bike and as I get older and less limber, I wish I didn't!

 
At 1:55 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

If you're going to keep the original wheel and hub, you won't be able to pedal backwards to slow down or stop. Fixed gear (track) hubs have a special reverse-threaded lockring feature that prevents the cog from unscrewing when you pedal backwards. The Wikipedia article describes this. The hub on this bike does not have this feature, which means the cog will simply unscrew when you attempt to backpedal. I wouldn't generally recommend any fixed-gear conversion without a track hub, unless you promise to use only the brakes to stop.

Otherwise, cool bike. The step-thru design will probably serve as a theft-deterrent also.

 
At 2:05 PM, Blogger Matt said...

Viper--It's always nice to fit in some Napoleon Dynamite quotes whenever you can.

Liz--I'm with you. I get less limber everyday it seems like.

Jim--Thanks for being concerned about my well being. Originally when I went to the LBS I wanted a new wheel with a flip/flop hub for the reason you detail, but when the tech explained to me he could do this without buying all the parts (and of course save some $ and reuse parts) he assured me he would thread a lockring on the opposite side so that we wouldn't have any unfortunate situations. I will make sure to doublecheck his work though before I leave the store. I'll ask him to point out the lockring to me rather than try to find it so we can be sure it's on there. Thanks for the heads up.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home