Wednesday, July 19, 2006

Eat Local meal #4

Chicken noodle soup and BLTs.

I used some leftover chicken carcasses (I cut up my own chicken most of the time and save the bones, naturally. That's good German stinginess in action.) The chicken wasn't local, but it was SmartChicken (which is good because if there is one thing I hate it's a dumb chicken) that I had been saving to make chicken broth. Threw in some onions and carrots from the garden and a couple cloves of garlic from the market. Let it simmer for a while and I had homemade chicken broth.

After all the necessary filtering of the broth (of which I had a ton leftover for the freezer. Poor freezer.) I grabbed it out of the fridge last night and threw in some chicken that came from the bones, carrots and some onions (sadly no celery as I couldn't find any local) and brought it up to a boil just to make sure any nasty critters that might have been in the broth were dead. Then I mixed in some store bought Amish egg noodles (I want to make my own but I just don't have time this week) which are made in Kalona, IA (23 miles) and let it cook for a while.

As this was going on I toasted up some bread from the local bakery and fried up some local bacon (72 miles) for BLTs. The lettuce is from my garden, which is surprisingly still producing lettuce, and the tomatoes are from the market. Put it all on the table and there it is.

No fruit this time because I came home from work and my wife had finished off all the watermelon, to my surprise.

FGLB

2 Comments:

At 12:50 PM, Blogger Liz said...

I know they're so easy to make, but BLTs are one of those things we always get out. Maybe because they use more bacon than we would at home. Mmmm... bacon!

 
At 8:26 PM, Blogger Stacie said...

Lookin good, and eating local in the midwest, woo hoo!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home