Monday, March 06, 2006

A boy is becoming a man...a little

Bike Miles Today: 0

We had a surprise snow shower over the weekend. It didn't snow that much and most of it melted from the roads, but it is sure sloppy and wet. It's been raining too.

Big news of the day today is that I'm committing myself to doing one day of RAGBRAI this year. I keep putting off my involvement in RAGBRAI for various reasons. (I won't list the excuses, they are too numerous) But no more. I am going to sign up for the last day ride. The ride will be 50 miles (I know, it's a killer) and will go from Coralville, IA to Muscatine, IA. Both of these towns are advantageous for me because they are close enough to my town I can easily be dropped off and picked up by an extremely understanding wife.

The company I work for is extremely generous with their recreation budget and they will subsidize some of the costs of riding in RAGBRAI (even if you do the whole week, which is awesome). It will cost me less than a movie to ride for a day with 10,000+ other maniacs. Of course, that doesn't count food. I'll be enlisting the help of my trusty steed to make it through my finest day. I hope she is up to the task.

One tradition of riding in RAGBRAI is to dip your wheels in the river on each side of the state. This is symbolic of dipping your wheels in the ocean when riding across the country. I won't be doing this when I arrive in the beautiful town of Muscatine. I think dipping your wheel should be reserved for the real riders who tough out a week staring at corn, beans and pigs. Not to mention looking at a few people in lycra who should not be in lycra.

FGLB

Here are some RAGBRAI links.
Des Moines Register
http://www.ragbrai.org/

1 Comments:

At 1:38 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm a steed? SWEET!!!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home