Tuesday, February 14, 2006

Whip it, whip it good.

Bike Miles Today: Don't even ask

My closest friend disclosed to me today that he watches the Bachelor. I'm not sure where to go with this information. If he had told me he had just noticed that he had grown a third leg I don't think I could be more shocked. That show is so trashy (although filled with nice eye candy) I can't even believe it is still on TV.

I'm willing to be a little nice about this because he was only watching the show because his live in girlfriend wanted to watch the show. (Sure) But I'm not sure I can still excuse it. I know he has high speed internet. He could be doing that. Or he could leave the house. Or read a magazine. (books are out of the question for him) Or take a nap. I think we've finally reached the point in our relationship that I can call him whipped. And it feels ggggoooooodddddd. Ever since I've known him I've been the whipped one in the relationship. I've been involved with my lovely wife since before he and I started running around so I've always been the butt of the whipped jokes. It feels nice to be on level playing field finally.

Not that there is anything wrong with being whipped. If you're a guy and you're in a relationship you're whipped. There is no way around it. If you say you aren't whipped you are lying. All guys are whipped. It's a fact of life. But, if you didn't allow yourself to be whipped you would be the creepy 50 year old guy at the bar ooggling the girls who are in their 20s. I don't know about you, but even if I have to give up some of my freedom, I wouldn't want to be that guy. Ugg. The picture scares me even.

That is what relationships are all about. Giving of yourself to others. Opening yourself to another person. What people typically call "whipped" is really just giving of yourself in a relationship and compromising. Besides, if you do (or ever do) have kids the whipped you feel with a spouse is nothing compared to what you'll feel when that happens.

Happy Valentine's Day.
FGLB

4 Comments:

At 5:57 AM, Blogger Matt said...

You could always buy a bride from Russia or Thailand. You know, if you get really desperate.

 
At 12:51 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Now, boys, let's behave or I will make you sit on the couch hugging each other till you are nice.




At this age, would it be possible?? I doubt it.

 
At 3:59 PM, Blogger Matt said...

I doubt the coach would survive if we both sat on it at the same time.

 
At 1:39 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a nice article!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home