Thursday, February 23, 2006

Raging with envy

Bike Miles today: 0

Weather has been pretty nice but for some reason I can't get motivated to get on the bike. I've had a major case of the blahs all week. I did play basketball today and since the old guy wasn't there I did pretty good. I'm not feeling the blahs as much so maybe I just needed to get out and move around.

A buddy of mine got a new Cannondale R500. I swear I'm not jealous. Really, I'm not. Actually if I was going to get a bike I'm not sure what I would get. While I would love to get a Surly those have to be built up from the frame which takes more money than I could really justify. (I'm not handy enough to do the build up myself. Or smart enough really) I prefer the more laid back geometry of a touring bike (not to mention the reliability) so choosing a super light road bike with the super narrow tires isn't my kind of thing. I'm too heavy for a bike like that anyway. I don't think the tires would hold up with me aboard. I've thought about going single speed but I need some bailout gears. I can do the majority of my riding in one gear, but what happens when I'm out somewhere that I'm not familiar with and I don't have the legs to make it up the hill? I guess I would walk? That doesn't sound fun. And I would prefer a steel frame to aluminum. Just because I would, OK? So what to get someday? (if ever) I don't know. I've heard good things about this Jamis bike. Maybe I should go with a long haul trucker and build it up cheaply and upgrade over time? It's tough to know what to do. I could go with a Specialized Sequoia. It is supposed to have a more upright riding style. But it's aluminum.

My current bike is a mountain bike that I've got some road tires on. Maybe I'll just throw the knobbies back on and ride that on some trails this summer. I haven't really ever ridden it off road. It's kind of strange to say that, but I haven't. I've come across some trails here in town so perhaps I'll start riding those. The problem with that is then I have to commute to work on knobbie tires. That isn't much fun.

Spring is around the corner, I think. Just thinking about that is getting rid of my blahs.

FGLB

1 Comments:

At 1:36 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ah, yes, spring is just around the corner you say. After getting hit with snow and ice last weekend, our temp has been climbing and today it is pushing mid 60's, bright sunshine and grass is getting green. Daffodills are blooming, did survive the temp drop.
Jealous!!!!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home