Monday, February 20, 2006

Fat Guy Movie Reviews

Bike Miles today: 0

You need to check out Up in Alaska today to read up on Jill's adventure race over the weekend.

I decided to do a movie review today as I watched a few movies this weekend.

Just Like Heaven--This is a movie with Reese Witherspoon and Mark Ruffalo. Definitely a "chick flick" but I enjoyed it. My wife did too. Having Napoleon Dynamite in the movie definately gave it some pop. He does not suck. It was definitely funny and not too mushy although the ending was mostly transparent. But it was still enjoyable. I would recommend renting it sometime, but not unless you will be watching it with a girl.

Waiting--Ryan Reynolds leads the cast on this mostly crappy movie. I expected it to be funny in a Van Wilder/Harold and Kumar mold, but it wasn't. There are some definite funny parts, but the movie mostly drags. It's kind of like a Mallrats/Clerks wannabe on the whole 'I'm trying to analyze my life and what the hell am I going to do with it' idea, and trying to be a gross out comedy too. Doesn't really make sense or flow together very well. The cast is pretty decent but some of the stuff they try to make funny really isn't. There are some small hidden things that you really have to pay attention to see, and they are quite funny. Frankly, when you're watching a comedy it should be funny the first time and if you watch it again you should pick up the little things that are funny. The sports guy from Anchorman is in this and basically plays the same character. The DVD extras sucked too. Worse then the movie. For a comedy the extras were just horrible. No funny outtakes. I actually quit the extras because they sucked so much. That never happens for me.

Elizabethtown--Orlando Bloom and Kirstin Dunst lead this cast. It is a surprisingly strong cast, in appearance. I didn't really have a lot of hope for this movie from the beginning. And I wasn't let down. It was an OK flick but certainly didn't set any kind of great standard for movies. Mostly about a son dealing with his dad's death and dealing with extended family he hardly knows around the funeral. This kind of mirrored my life as I've dealt with this twice this year for family deaths (not my dad), so I had some personal connection with the movie on that level, but it seemed to drag on. The last 45 minutes are really when the movie picked up steam and got strong. (Mostly because I've always wanted to do a cross country road trip which he embarks on going home from the funeral) I still can't figure out if I think Bloom and Dunst were the right pair or not. Ruffalo and Witherspoon above were very believable in their roles, but for some reason I didn't get the same feeling with this group. Even a surprise appearance by Jessica Biel couldn't save this one.

Sin City--Are you ready for this? Bruce Willis, Mickey Rourke, Josh Hartnett, Michael Madsen, Benecio Del Toro, Jessica Alba, Brittany Murphy, Clive Owen, Elijah Woods and tons of others. Super strong cast. Tons of testosterone. This was the movie of the weekend. Mostly because I like this kind of movie. Dark, objectionable, violent, twists and turns, bad people as the movie hero. Wow. Great. This movie is based on some graphic comic books by Frank Miller. The movie reads like three comic books but they all fall together and interact with each other. Tarantino was involved so it was similar to Reservoir Dogs, Pulp Fiction, Kill Bill but yet more dark and imposing. Great filming in mostly black and white. You have to watch this movie. But only if you don't mind some serious violence. I was on the edge of my seat the entire time. And I'm actually wishing I had seen this on the big screen. Two thumbs up.

According to IMDB a Sin City 2 and Sin City 3 are in the works. Oh boy.

Heard about this website so I thought I would share it with you all.

FGLB

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home